Client information sheet – colour and lightening services
NEW AND RETURNING CLIENTS
This information applies if you are having a permanent colour or lightening service, including colour or lightening product/ bleach highlights, applied to the hair on your head or ANY other area of your body (eg, eyebrows, eyelashes, beards etc).
While the vast majority of people who have their hair coloured experience no problems, a small number of people have the potential to develop an allergy to some hair dye ingredients. The use of hair dyes is strictly regulated and their ingredients are approved for use in hair colour in the UK, the EU and across the world. However, an allergy can develop over time so it is possible that you could have an allergic reaction even if you have not had one in the past.
As a professionally run salon, we put your safety first.
We will always carry out an allergy alert test for new clients aged 16* or over, even if you have had your hair coloured before. We will check when returning clients last had an allergy alert test. If it was more than six months ago, we will arrange for another test to be done. Allergy alert tests must be done at least 48 hours in advance of your colour.
We will also carry out relevant industry tests for all new clients or existing clients who want a different chemical service, for example, colouring, bleaching / lightening. This will test the condition of your hair, the compatibility of previous products or services and confirm what the final result of the service will be. A test cutting and strand test may be suggested as this is the most effective way of finding out what the end result will look and feel like without risking your hair.
We will ask you to answer the questions on the back of this page and sign a consultation, allergy alert and industry tests record card to confirm that you have answered them to the best of your knowledge. Your stylist or therapist will also sign the record and confirm whether an allergy alert test or other industry tests will be needed before the service can go ahead.
We will ask clients for their consent to keep the colour records for six years for your safety. If you have a reaction to hair colour or to an allergy alert test, you must seek medical advice.
*Sorry, manufacturers advise that hair colourants (including highlights) cannot be used on anyone aged under 16, so we can’t provide colour services for this age group.
CONSULTATION, ALLERGY ALERT AND INDUSTRY TESTS RECORD CARD QUESTIONS
The following questions will be asked each time you have your hair coloured (including highlights, eyebrows, eyelashes, beards etc) to help your stylist or therapist decide whether an allergy alert test is needed. For a reminder about why allergy alert tests are important, please see the information above.
Questions for NEW clients or clients who haven’t had colour with us before
1) Is your client 16 or under?* STOP – COLOUR CANNOT GO AHEAD
2) Have you ever had an allergic reaction to hair colour?*
3) Have you got a sensitive, irritated or damaged scalp or a rash?*
4) Is this the first time you have had your hair coloured in this salon?
5) Have you had any type of skin tattoo, including temporary henna or black henna tattoo, permanent make up since your last colour?
6) Have you had an allergic reaction to any products except hair colour since your last colour i.e. perfume, permanent make-up, skin products
*Sorry, we can’t provide colour services to under 16s (Q1). For your own protection if your answer to Q2 or Q3 is YES, we can’t provide you with a colour service. We recommend that seek advice from your GP or dermatologist, who will need to provide written consent for us to provide you with colour services in future.
If the answer to questions 4,5,6, is yes, we will carry out an allergy alert test at least 48 hours in advance of your colour service.
AAT QUESTIONS FOR REGULAR CLIENTS
8) Is it more than 6 months since your last colour (self or professional)
9) Is it more than 12 months since your last AAT
10) Have you noticed any changes in your hair or scalp since your last visit?
11) Have you had a tattoo, henna or black henna tattoo or permanent make-up since your last colour?
12) Have you coloured your hair at home since your last visit?
13) Have you had an allergic reaction to any products except hair colour since your last colour i.e. perfume, permanent make-up, skin products?
14) Are you taking any medication for allergies?
15) Are you changing brand / brand product range / shade
IF THE ANSWER TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS 8-15 IS YES – AAT MUST BE CARRIED OUT.
IF THE ANSWER TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS 8-15 IS NO – COLOUR SERVICE CAN GO AHEAD